blinkie

CraftyCrafter

Sunday, 10 February 2013

A Little Experimentation Goes a Long Way

As I said in my previous post I was going to play some more and share the results. I have used stains, watercolour pencils and gelatos and I have a fair few things to share. I am sharing them before I turn them into cards. I think I am getting the hang of the gelatos too :) I have made some very light samples but I can always add more colour if I wish (good thing I have been taking notes on the back of the samples lol).

 Let's start with gelatos. My first attempt was to wet the watercolour paper first, then lay down the colour spritz again and blend with my finger . . . it didn't work very well (might be more to do with the colours I used lol) so I tried again with a brush. That's the sample on the bottom left. Colours used for these samples are Black Licorice, Chocolate and Butterscotch.


For the top sample I applied dry and spritzed three puddles of water on my mat. I started at black and worked to lightest blending with a paintbrush. I added a little too much water in some places so I used a wet brush directly to the gelato I needed to fix the problem . I had so much colour left on my mat that I got sick of wasting it and started using the lefovers on leftover scraps of watercolour paper. That's the image on the bottom right.

The next set were all made when I applied gelatos to a wet surface and blended with a paintbrush for the first gen (top pic). These colours seemed to go on very thick and allowed me to make the original plus two more samples. Colours are Blueberry, Boysenberry and Grape. The second gen, to the right, was made swiping the colours straight off the craft mat and third gen I sprizted the leftovers then applied them to the cs for the third gen pale look on the bottom.


The following two were made at the same time. I applied gelato to my ranger craft mat and spritzed with water to make a light wash. These have only one coat but If I had wanted darker colours I could have just made one and dried in between layers to darken the colours. I used the metallics in Melon, Grape and Mint.


Next up we have a couple done with distress stains. I used three colours for each, spritzed with water and blended them with my finger. When I blend using my finger I tend to work from lightest to darkest then flip and work from lightest to darkest to work the colours into each other and smooth them out. The top one uses Peacock Feathers, Evergreen Bough and Bundled Sage and has been flicked with water to get the cool droplet effect. The bottom one uses Aged Mahogany, Fired Brick and Worn Lipstick.






I only have two Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists and for ome reason one of mine looked nowhere near the colour on the back :( It was supposed to be a really pretty pink but instead there was barely any colour there at all lol. The colour was supposed to be pink bubblegum. I added 20 drops of picked raspberry reinker and a spritz of Dylusions in Postbox Red. I ended up with a colour a bit darker than the colour I was supposed to have but very pretty none the less :)





I used a paintbrush dipped in the bottle and started painting each colour on from their respective ends and blended with my finger in the middle. The yellow is Lemon Zest.

Onto Derwent Watercolour pencils. Each sample uses the same set of colours applied directly to dry paper. The colours are 2, 7, 8, 10 and 12. I spritzed the top one with water then used my finger to blend the colours. I could have added more red but liked the washed out effect and decided to lave it as. The bottom one was blended with the Tim Holtz Waterbrush.


The top picture uses the colours 40, 43, 44, 45, 46 and 47. I used a waterbrush and pulled colour directly from the pencils. I really like this technique. The middle pic uses 18, 21, 22, 24 and 25. I coloured right on the paper for this one and blended with a waterbrush. I spilled a  drop of the mist I mixed onto this one so I decided to make the best of it and used  the spray tube from the bottle to add some drips and lines, sprized again and rand some paper towel over the top to get that faded look.


The bottom pic uses 37, 38, 39, 40 and 44 coloured directly yo the paper. Not sure why I added this pic in the bunch because I cannot remember how I did it lmao.

This next pic uses inktense pencils. I used 1200, 1300 and 1400 straight from the pencil with the waterbrush for the top image and for the bottom one I used the pencils coloured right onto a tag and blended with the waterbrush. As you can see it is very streaky compared o others so water colour paper is definitely best.





I realised as I was typing this that i forgot to do a sample using the waterbrush from the gelato then onto the paper but anyways I am sure you get the idea. Hope this helps you in some way.
Happy Scrappin'
Purple

No comments:

Post a comment