Thursday, 29 December 2011

12 Cards of Christmas T!m Holtz Style Card 12

So here I am at card 12. Yay I made it :) I made a huge mistake though and that makes me sad. I just didn't have the time or enough Star Dust Stickles left to fix it. Moving on lol. I used what I had again to create this card, keeping the techniques I liked and going with the flow :) Hope you like it. Wow never had so much creative focused energy in one month lol... This last card was inspired by T!m's 12t tag and as you can see mine is very very different lol.

Card 12

I started by using an old book my eldest daughter gave me to canabalise. I took one page and slathered Multi-Medium Matte all over it. I adhered it to a piece of cardstock and moved and scrunched it about as T!m did with his tissue paper. I was going to stamp some tissue paper my sister had given me but it was Missing in action from all the Christmas bruhaha lol.

I then painted book page with home made glimmer glaze. This mix is iridescent medium, glossy accents and fired brick (I have just started using Multi- Medium Gloss for this and love it!). I waited fro it to dry, which doesn't take long, then dripped more glaze over the light spots to give the splotchy effect.

I used the snowflake images found on SCAL 3 again. I cut these in several sizes with printer paper til I was happy with the size. Especially the one I was going to add a facet to.

I then used my eCraft to cut some plastic packaging (from lifestyle craft dies) into snow flakes. The packaging is a good bit thicker than acetate. I adhered the plastic to a stabiliser with removable tape so it wouldn't slide around. If you don't it slides all over and you end up with a big mess!!! I used pressure setting 7. Cuts  like a dream :)

I grabbed some different colours of alcohol inks and my pearl mixative and did a few testers on some scrap packaging from around the snow flakes. I chose to use Aqua/Pearl Mixative to colour them. I coloured and coloured with my Tim Holtz tool and my inks til I achieved a colour I liked. Some spots were too light so I went over them til I got it right!

I decided they were still too plain so I added some Star Dust Stickles to the snowflakes. I covered the two smaller ones and only did around the outside of the larger one.

I grabbed my Cotton White Stazon and some snow flake stamps. The large one is from Inkadinkado and the small from Stampin' Up. I reinked one end of my stamp pad then used the large stamp on my book page a couple of times. I then took the smaller stamp and filled in some spots.

On some scrap card I stamped my small sentiment. I made sure it was small enough to see through the facet before I stamped it. It's a fiskars stamp. I used black stazon ink.

I then went over this with my fired brick glaze, after it dried I used some glossy accents to adhere my large circle Facet down. I pressed down hard gave it a bit of a swirl then made sure it was positioned just so. I used some paper towel to wipe away the excess glossy. My only issue with this is that even though my glaze was made with glossy accents adding glossy as a glue seemed to leech colour from my glaze :(

I cut around the facet and then used more glossy to stick it to my snow flake.

I grabbed some white and blue cardstocks and palyed around with them to see what combo I liked better. My eldest daughter decided the blue was the matte and the white was the card. I used my Fired Brick Distress pad to add a teeny border around the white card. I used the pad direct to card, no tool.

I used double sided tape to adhere my book page layer to the blue cardstock. I piled everything on top to see how it looked and felt it was missing some magic. I went to to get an icicle svg and made a template out of plastic and cut it with my eCraft. I then used stickles in star dust to add icicles to my card base. This is where I made my big mistake :( Shhhh I won't tell if you won't lol. I also added a border of sorts. The template was larger than in the pic but i flipped it and cut it to do the last part.

I used foam tape on all off the snow flakes. The larger and smaller have thicker tape and the middle size flower has thinner tape on them to give dimension. I then stuck them to my card and Job done. 12 cards is finito. Cannot believe I got it done in my first year at having a go but there you have it :)

Ta Daaaaaa, All done. Happy dance :). Upload the last card to T!m's Blog and then I can put this baby to bed. Wow I am relieved it's over. For someone who has barely crafted much in the last year that was pretty full on for me. A great way to get back in the swing of things and be inspired to try out a whole heap of my new products!

Thanks for stopping by.
Happy Scrappin'


  1. Gorgeous card :-)I love all the techniques you used on this ,, fabulous ! and am sure it looks even more wonderful IRL ! well done ! :-)

    Wishing you a Very happy New Year :-)
    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge :-)
    Lols x x x

  2. Nice blog, and was fun to read all the hard work behind the stunning cards you created.