Wednesday, 28 December 2011

12 Cards of Christmas T!m Holtz Style Card 10

So this one ended up being a real challenge. Cannot tell you how many different things I tried with it lol. I kept wrecking my tape or the image on the tape. I can also tell you gold leaf looked horrid on the back :). My 8 year old helped by deciding the placement of the bow and beads. Little artist in the making :). Here is my inspiration from T!m...

Card 10

We first off with this one my packaging tape was MIA lol so my daughter nicely got me some on town. I have at least 2 rolls hiding in the house somewhere all ready... but what can you do? lol.

I was making the tape images one at a time so I actually ended up making about seven images all at once to make sure I could try  different techniques and have standby's in case I wrecked them some more :) lol.

To start off I didn't have any facets (I did get some in the mail from ebay after I completed this card of course!) so I grabbed a couple of round buckle-ups and ties from one heart one mind. The paper pictured is a kaisercraft one but poor santa had gold leaf put behind him and you couldn't see him anymore lol.

I positioned my acrylic piece over a santa so that he was centred and  then cut a larger square around him. For the seven I did later I used a marker and drew a large circle around my image to cut out.

I then added my tape to the image. Make sure you put the tape over the side of the image you want to use. I made the image stick to the craft mat by making the tape larger. I the used my finger to "burnish" the image. Basically that means rubbing my finger or thumb over the tape til it is really well adhered to the image. I then cut the excess  tape off  and threw it in a bowl of warm water. Scary I know!

Make sure paper side is down soaking under the water and then use your fingers to begin rubbing the paper off. Try not to use your nails as this will scratch the image off the tape. As T!m says "rub til it squeaks". Make sure you get all the paper off then take out and dab some of the moisture off carefully.

This is where we say good by too this image as I killed it after the next step by trying gold leaf lol. Hello new image :) Another thing I learnt was definitely to adhere your tape to acrylic before doing anything else!  So use a small amount of glossy accents or a similar glue like diamond glaze etc on your acrylic piece and place over the image. The sticky side should be facing down and shiny side up as this is the side you add the tile to. Set aside for 30 minutes to dry and then flip the chip and image over. Carefully rub your fingers over the image to push any trapped spots of glossy out. Leave to finish drying. I used this technique to also make a smaller acrylic tile.

While that was drying I started on my background. I grabbed my Iced Spruce distress pad and covered a yellow piece of cardstock with it direct from pad to paper.

I then used the water flinging technique to add large droplets of water to my background and dried with my heat tool and then added Evergreen Bough distress stain to the edges with my ink blending tool.

I  repeated again with Festive Berries. Wow just realised I used the complete winter set on this tag :) Go me!

I grabbed a stamp I picked up for $2 at spotlight by fundamentals and my Evergreen Bough distress pad and flipped my image sideways to stamp a series of the image accross.

Off on a picture hunt seem to be missing some eep lo.. Ok sorry :( the pics MIA. So I will describe what I did next. I cut some letters with my cuttlebug using  two different fonts. I cut "Christmas" with the alphabet from the Holly Jolly giftset. I cut "Joy" from the Sizzix Sizzlits  Curls and Swirls alphabet.

I then got back to my ornament. I flipped it over and used a generous amount of Pearl Mixative and my distress tool to cover the back. Make sure to use a generous amount if you try this way or it starts to lift the image off the tape. I found the photo's Yay!

I used Multi-Medium Matte to glue down the the letters and then covered them with glossy accents. I left the "o" out as I had decided to replace it with another ornament.

I grabbed some thin red ribbon from my stash and looped some through my ornaments, leaving the tails nice and long. I made two bows, one small one larger. I adhered the bows with glossy.

I used regular tape to hold these on the back of the background so they could be pulled off and kept as ornaments and uses a small amount of repositional tape to stop then moving about too much. On reflection I would use some multi-medium or something like that  on the back of the ornaments after the alcohol ink to seal them. 

It still looked a bit plain so I grabbed a thin piece of tinsel from the christmas tree... lol. Four jump rings ,some beads and some tulle. I used beading tools and head pins on my three bead, the beads are two glass pearl 8mm beads and 1 Swarovski crystal, I createted loops and added a jump ring to each. With the last jump ring I opened it up wide and placed the tinsel inside and then added the three beads, red, crystal, red and closed it up.

I cut a thin strip of tulle, maybe 1"/2.5cm wide freehand and turned it into a bow. I glued this to the tinsel above the beads with glossy on miss 8's orders lol. And card done :).

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial.
Happy Scrappin'

No comments:

Post a Comment